Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 23:28:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Gopakumar H Pillai <gopu@global.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache Proxy Setup

It isn't really necessary to post multiple times to newsgroups and to
multiple newsgroups and to mailing lists.

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Gopakumar H Pillai wrote:

> Hi,
> This question is not regarding FreeBSD.
>
> I have a web server Apache 1.2.4 running on a FreeBSD machine. Its in
> the intranet and acts as a proxy caching server to the firewall machine.
>
> HTTP is proxied properly. FTP is not. I can log in and browse the FTP
> site but can't download any binary file. There seems to be some problem
> with the Mime type configuration and hence the binary files are
> considered as text files. Any one has a work around?

What is the filename on the binary files?

You need to setup the mime types on the proxy (either with AddType or the
mime.types file) to call the appropriate things binary.  Apache must
default to text because otherwise the readme files with two million
different names would not be readable.  Your browser normally has some way
to say to save a file to disk even if the mime type doesn't say it is
binary; eg. holding down shift while selecing the link.

> HTTPS also is not proxied. I know that there is a patch available for
> including SSL in Apache. But I need to only proxy and adding this patch
> and compiling SSL is a tedious and confusing process. Is there any way I
> can proxy https://* to a specified machine with having to add SSL to
> Apache?

To proxy SSL connections, you don't want your web server to be
talking SSL.  That does not generally work due to things like
certificate authentication, it being dumb to trust the proxy, etc.

What you need is for the web server to support the CONNECT method,
which allows the client's connection to pass through to the server.
This is done automatically and supported by most newer clients.

What client are you using?

What happens when you try?

Do you have any extra directives in your config file that may be impacting
this?