Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:03:21 -0500
From:      Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
To:        "'8 BSD Qs'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shutdown w/ unproper / dismount?

FBSD 3.2
Compaq Presario 710
Pentium 75 MHz
40 meg ram
700+ disk

I wanted to turn my system off yesterday so I logged in as root and issued:

	#shutdown -h now

Everything went smoothly and I waited for the shutdown and sync to
complete. I then turned the box off and waited a few seconds. I turned it
on again. I received the message (or close):

	/ was not properly dismounted...
	Auto-reboot in progress..

Then it did something with the disks for / and /swap. I assume this was the
equivalent of scandisk as it gave out a bunch of disk info and
fragmentation numbers. After a while of disk crunching I got the boot
prompt and then the login prompt. All is well.

So what happened that caused / to not be dismounted properly?

-Michael