Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 05:10:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
To:        Ruslan@shevchenko.kiev.ua
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

   >  In reality, FreeBSD can not be concurentable ws NT,   we have few big
   >problems:
   >     1. bad java support
   >        1. biss-awt won't work (on 2.2-stable)
   >        2. port of latest jdk from sun is absent.

	Can't comment here since I don't much on this topic.

   >     2. We have not GUI admin interface for FreeBSD,
   >        so newbaies will preffer other systems.

	This is a win in our side. I find it a plus not needing a gui and
beeng on the console for the important tasks. As for newbies? Thats why
there is NT, so they won't bother us. Just kidding. I think you should
learn the OS from the bottom up. First you learn shell, kernel, file
system, io, vm, etc and then only you go to X/GUI. I know some "NT Admins"
who don't even suspect that NT can be used in the DOS mode (or shell, or
emulator, or whatever you call that scary little rectangular DOS looking
like prompt).

   >     3. near 80% of using computers is databases.
   >        we have not port of client software for well-known
   >        commerce databases (Oracle, Sysbase, Informix)

	Well, I'd say that 90% of computers are used in the network
environment and that is where BSD's networking code comes into the
picture. NT and it's legacy LAN Manager (for "compatibility") is somewhat
behind.
	But to answer your question: this is not our fault that Informix,
Sybase and such choose not to make products for free OSes. I hope that
will change soon however. Meanwhile you can use SCO or Linux binaries from
those commercial databases if such exist.

   >     4. We have not good c++ compiler.
   >        gcc is great, but exceptions and namespaces are
   >        very important stuff for c++ programmers.
   >        And standart string class yet not well in 2.2-stable.

	Give us time. :)

-- Yan