Date:      Thu, 4 May 2006 11:43:07 -0500
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>, stable@freebsd.org, wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipw2100 vs ndis(4) -- does it work for anybody?

On 5/3/06, Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scot, Bill,
>
> Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > You need to use the ndisgen script to create the NDIS kernel module
> > for your card.
> >
> > ndisgen /compat/ndis/w70n51.inf /compat/ndis/w70n51.sys
>
> Thanks! Since when is this required? I think I never ran this tool
> before. Where is this documented?

It has been required since Apr 24th 2005 (a year ago).  You can still
use ndiscvt, but then your .inf file needs to in the correct format
for ndiscvt to parse.

It's documented in the ndisgen.8 man page, it was also mentioned on
the -CURRENT mailing lists at that time, and -STABLE mailing list in
May 2005 when it was MFC'd.

As to why your driver is panicing, I have no idea.  As my Broadcom
NDIS module (bcmwl564_sys.ko) doesn't cause the system to panic.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.