Date:        Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:52:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Don Muller <dmuller@lcc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this how to use Freebsd?

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Don Muller wrote:

> Well, the company did not explain how, or why it happened. The
> programmer I work with suggested BSD.Of course I wanted security!

> Well, they gave me some explanation that the server was hacked at the
> xfs port. But later I was told that the ftp port on redhat 6.2 was the
> vulnerability, so they actually were not sure?

> So this is when we had the network people install Freebsd. And where
> my questions lie.

I wouldn't trust *THOSE* people with any OS :)

Linux and BSD are comperable in security; both rely on a
competent admin to keep the system secure over time.

Lacking a competent admin on-site, you may look into a
free Unix which has the capability of semi-automatically
upgrading itself.

I suspect the BSDs can do that; Conectiva Linux, Debian
Linux and all Debian derivatives do that too (apt-get).
Systems lacking that ability will always be in danger of
getting behind in security updates when the admins don't
look after the machine...

regards,

Rik
of people. That is its real strength.