Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:36:45 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   tmp files (was Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot)

> ...  they MFS mount /var/tmp
> (at least) for the sake of optimizing compile times (cc uses /var/tmp for
>
> temporary files).

On a reasonably fast system, I prefer using the gcc -pipe option myself.
However, if you love MFS temporary files, I offer this from the gcc (1)
manual page on FreeBSD 3.4:

>   TMPDIR comes from the environment variable TMPDIR (default
>        /usr/tmp if available, else /tmp).

I unsure why you think gcc uses /var/tmp.  In any case, assuming /tmp is
MFS, a simple update to login.conf for TMPDIR would negate the need to
mount the /var/tmp as MFS as well.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire                                Internet: ahd+sig@kew.com
Kendra Electronic Wonderworks                  Voice:     1-781-279-9812

 Who me? I just wander from room to room.