Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:32:47 -0500
From:      brownicm@prokyon.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Mike Gruver" <mgruver@carolina.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: How to use simple firewall with DHCP?

Use the values from /var/db/dhclient.leases. My IP number
never changes, although I was never promised a static
number. I have the same setup you have except that it's
a DSL line rather than cable (I assume from your email
addr). I also use 'natd_flags="-dynamic"' in /etc/rc.conf,
although I'm not sure just what would happen if the IP
number _was_ changed. Surprise!! I just checked mine
and it _has_ changed (after six months)! With no
apparent ill-effects.

Double-check the netmask being assigned, it'll be non-
standard as the provider usually  has some sort of
subnetting scheme giong on. Just use the IP number
you're assigned with a final 0 (xxx.xxx.xxx.0) as the
network number.

This stuff scared me at first, but now it's a piece of cake.

> I have a dual-homed host with non-routables on the inside domain (192.168.0.x)
and DHCP on the outside with the ISP.  The question is:
the example rc.firewall file explains to setup your
interface, ip and subnet for both the external and internal
interfaces.  Sounds great, except I am using DHCP on
the external.  Does anyone know how to specify this in
the rc.firewall file for the onet, omask, and oip identifiers?

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> mgruver@carolina.rr.com
Where in Carolina? I'm in Greensboro...