Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:14:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

On 12 Nov 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> >> I have yet to hear of any solutions that don't require a hack to the
> >> install procedure (eg, setting an environment variable).  Unless
> >> somebody comes up with an idea that would magically detect what
> >> environment a given script wants, I would recommend putting a Linux
> >> uname in /copmat/linux where it belongs, and the install procedure's
> >> PATH can have /compat/linux ahead of /.  This is easy to implement,
> >> keeps the core of FreeBSD pure, and paves the way for future
> >> similarities.
> > chroot /compat/linux ; install
>
> Not unless you have a complete minimal tree under /compat/linux.

Someone asked for a solution that didn't require corrupting the base
FreeBSD installation or source tree with compatability issues.  I am well
aware of the technical necessities of a chrooted environment, but it does
give you a clean way to handle special cases like this.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)