Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:41:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump -> multiple fs'es and computers

On 5 Feb 1999, John Saunders wrote:

> > There's a tutorial on using dump for backups on my web site at
> > http://www.pobox.com/~hamilton/dump.html which may be of some use as well.
>
> One thing that all the dump man pages/tutorials never fully explain is
> the significance of dump levels. They sort of explain what they do, but
> never fully explain how to apply these to making full/incremental/
> differential backups. Basically:
>
> Full backup means use dump level 0, period.
>
> Incremental (backup changes since last backup of any type) means use
> ascending dump levels other than 0. i.e. Do a full backup Friday night
> with level 0, then use levels 1 2 3 4 5 6 for Sat through Thu.
>
> Differential (backup changes since last _full_ backup) means use
> descending dump levels other than 0. i.e. Do a full backup Friday night
> with level 0, then use levels 6 5 4 3 2 1 for Sat through Thu. Or
> simply use the same level for each night. I prefer a different level
> so that /etc/dumpdates has a weekly history.

I suppose that terminology is correct from somewhere, but the dump man
page says "incremental" is dump except a level 0. I.e. - anything that
only dumps incremental changes since some prior dump.

To be precise about what dump does, a level N dump saves all new files
since the last dump at a level lower than N, or everything on the disk
if there is no such dump. Since there are no dumps lower than level 0,
they always dump everything on the disk. (bonus question - why is this
type of backup system impossible on an MS-DOS system?)

Given that, there are any number of possibilities between the two
extremes mentioned above, including the tower of hanoi mentioned on
the man page.

Some of the ones i've seen include a school, that did Level 0's after
every semester (before you delete the students semester accounts).
Level 5's at every Saturday except the first saturday of the month,
which is level 3. Level 9's every day - to a dedicated file system,
which is tar'ed off to tape when you're through.

On systems with lots of activity, we did level 7's on Wednesdays.
Normal restore is two (or, for very busy systems, three) tape backups
plus the latest incremental from disk.

One corporate client required complete backups of all work to be sent
to the corporate storage site every month. So we did level 3's on
saturdays, except the first of the month was level 0s. Then 7's every
other day of the week (again, to disk).

Personally, I run level 0s to CD-ROM, level 5's on Saturdays, and
level 8s every day. If I do a major change on a system, I'll do an
intermediate level so I don't wind up dumping the new stuff every
day/week from then on out. If I'm going to do something that seems a
bit risky, I'll take a level 9 of the file systems in question before
preceeding. Incrementals go to a Jazz cartridge.  When it fills up, I
delete all the dailies that aren't current, but keep the weeklies for
archival purposes. When what's left over after that starts looking
like a CD-ROM's worth of stuff, I press one from it and delete
everything on the JAZZ disk except the last set of dailies.

	<mike