Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:25:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thumbs up? Or down?? (disk recommend)

> In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:
>
> >> Greetings!
> >>     I was planning on picking up some MC3243 drives (4.3G, 8.?mS)
> >> and wondered if any have comments pro or con?
> >>     Thanx!
>
> >Exec-PC just returned a boatload of these to the manufacturer.  Tooo many
> >failures under moderate to heavy use.  Buy a Barracuda instead and put a big
> >fan on it.
>
> Screw that, we have about 80% failure on Barracuda's we have so far.  Shoot for
> the Connor 4207S, runs cold, 7200RPM, fast as snot, works perfect so far.

I get about a 1 in 30 failure (1 yr period) on the Barracudas (32550 class)
and haven't seen a 15150 fail yet, although the sample size is small for
those.  The 12550's are bad iff you don't keep them cool - which most people
fail to do.  This isn't a bad set of statistics, in my experience.

As for the Conner drives, are you serious?  Sun Microsystems recently
learned a hard lesson about getting what you pay for - they dumped their
"traditional" vendor, Seagate, in favor of Conner - burning some bridges as
they did so - and when they discovered the incredibly high failure rate of
the Conner drives under moderate to heavy use, they actually _stopped_
shipping the Conner drives and quickly depleted their surplus of Seagates.
I can just imagine that Seagate is now making a little more money off of
Sun's smaller discounts.  :-)

I'm not saying all Conner drives are bad or all Seagates are good, I can
pose many counterexamples for both.  But there's one vendor's experiences.

When it comes right down to it, disk technology just isn't incredibly
reliable.  :-/

... Joe