Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:18:37 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>, Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>, Garrett Cooper <gcooper@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for cc -m32

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:57:51 pm Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> cc-m32-3.diff:
>     Modify amd64 headers to include i386 headers when compiling 32 bit code.
>
>     All amd64 headers follow the following format:
>
>     #ifndef _AMD64_HEADER_H_
>     #define _AMD64_HEADER_H_
>
>     #ifdef __i386__
>     #include <i386/header.h>
>     #else
>
>     /* Amd64 declarations go here. */
>
>     #endif /* __i386__ */
>     #endif /* !_AMD64_HEADER_H_ */

I find this to be really ugly, and error prone (since it is a manual process).
I'd prefer something that autogenerated headers in /usr/include/machine that
#include the appropriate version similar to what Warner suggested.

However, one issue with that approach (and this one) are headers that only
exist for one platform.  The end result would be that that header would now
exist for both platforms (in that if you do 'if [ -r
/usr/include/machine/foo.h ]' it will be true).  We can make it #error or
otherwise fail (by including a non-existing file for example), but if there
was some way to have cc -m32 "magically" substitute "i386/" for "machine",
that is what I would most prefer.  (This has problems too in that #include
<machine/foo.h> would work with -m32 even though /usr/include/machine/foo.h
doesn't exist, but /usr/include/i386/foo.h does.)

--
John Baldwin