Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:10:18 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/127640: GCC will not build shared libraries with -fprofile-generate on amd64

--Sl61CI1LVv3DiL8h

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 08:13:20AM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> > Note that libgcov needs to be recompiled with -fPIC.
> > The R_X86_64_32 issue is systematic on amd64. When you build a shared
> > object, better make sure that all .o are compiled with -fPIC.
>=20
> So shouldn't the system come with both static and shared versions
> of all the libraries?

The system does. OP linked system supplied libgcov.a into .so.
Should /usr/lib/libgcov.a be built with -fPIC, is debatable. I think it
is overkill for most other static libs from /usr/lib. Note that there
are reasonable arguments against supplying static system libraries like
libc and libpthread.

--Sl61CI1LVv3DiL8h

--Sl61CI1LVv3DiL8h--