Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:19:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re(2): panic: free vnode isn't

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk wrote:

> Server is running 2.0.5R (with more recent SCSI drivers from -STABLE a
> few weeks ago, probably not important).

    Ack, don't say that... I just downgraded our server to 2.0.5-RELEASE
to see if that will give us longer uptimes.  :-/

> The nature of the freeze is some kind of deadlock in the filesystem -
> if you catch it just after the freeze, terminal/telnet sessions are
> normally still alive,

    Yeah, it's more serious than that here.  When the system locks up,
everything is dead.  As I said, I've put 2.0.5-RELEASE on with a
kernel to handle a larger number of open files and mbuf clusters.  The
one major thing that is missing is the pcvt driver.

    Unfortunately, I can't rule out NFS because our anonymous FTP
archive sits on a BSD/OS drive (which I don't think FreeBSD will
recognize) and user home directories are mounted from another central
server.  I could probably move ftp.io.org over to another machine for
a week (if 2.0.5R crashes in the next couple of days) and see what
effect that has.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.