Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 07:32:24 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

In article <9509261306.AA14836@emu.fsl.noaa.gov>,
Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov> wrote:
>That suggests to me that our startup ought to be driven by make and
>not sh, then.  But then there's the problem of auto-editing Makefiles.

No, don't auto-*edit* makefiles. Auto-*generate* makefiles.

exec 3>&1
exec >/etc/Makefile
cat /etc/pkg.d/.base/Makefile
start="start:"
stop="stop:"
for i in /etc/pkg.d/*
do
	pkg=`basename $i`
	if [ -f $i/start.mk ]
		then
		if [ -f $i/start.dep ]
		then echo "$pkg-start: `cat $i/start.dep`"
		else echo "$pkg-start:"
		fi
		cat $i/start.mk
		start="$start $pkg-start"
	fi
	echo ""

	if [ -f $i/stop.mk ]
	then
		if [ -f $i/stop.dep ]
		then echo "$pkg-stop: `cat $i/stop.dep`"
		else echo "$pkg-stop:"
		fi
		cat $i/stop.mk
		stop="$stop $pkg-stop"
	fi
	echo ""
done
echo $start
echo $stop
exec >&3
exec 3>&-

Now you can "cd /etc; make start".

>Maybe we can auto-edit Imakefiles more safely?

Imake is *evil*. Evil, evil, evil, evil. Using cpp as a general preprocessor
works, barely, for X. Don't drive anything else down that path.