Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:41:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha 4.x releases (production quality?)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 09:54:20AM -0500, Mike Eldridge wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> > > Would a general concensus of the folks on -alpha agree that FreeBSD 4.x
> > > for the Alpha is stable enough for a production server?
> >
> > I wouldn't.  I can't even get the thing installed.  The kernel panics as
> > it's trying to boot.  Linux runs fine on it.  I've looked for help, but I
>
> On 'it'? Please #define 'it' ?

Well, I sent a message to the alpha mailing list a couple of days
outlining my difficulties.

#define it "alpha multia axp 166"

I tend to think it's an issue with the srm firmware.  I ran into all
kinds of soft errors when trying to boot from a floppy, then I read that
you couldn't boot from floppy because of a problem with the firmware.  So
I tried to boot from a cd.  I do get sense errors from the cd-rom drive as
it is booting, then it ends in the same errors.

I guess my next step is to try a new version of the firmware.

Mike