Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:14:41 -0500
From:      uidzero <uidzero@one-arm.com>
To:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root access to ftp, telnet -- CP/M?

Jay O'Brien wrote:

>Matthew Seaman wrote:
>

>>Eeek!  You do realise you've just sent the root password across your
>>network in plain text?  Maybe your network is completely secure and
>>you aren't running a risk by doing that, but on the whole it's a
>>really bad idea.  Get into the habit of using ssh(1) routinely for
>>your own peace of mind, if nothing else.  You can also replace ftp(1)
>>for many purposes by scp(1) or rsync(1) (from the net/rsync port),
>>both of which operate over ssh(1).
>>

>Matthew,
>Thanks for your concern. Once there is anything on the computer, I
>will certainly close those security holes. Right now it is only a
>means to learn about FreeBSD and document the steps necessary to build
>a machine that will fit my needs. I opened ftp and telnet access to
>root as a simple way to copy files to and from a windows computer and
>to control the FreeBSD computer from another location. I do plan to
>implement ssh, but first I must evaluate PuTTY and other alternatives.
>
>In the meantime, it is protected from the internet by a hardware
>router that doesn't forward any ports to the FreeBSD computer.
>
>There's so much to learn! This experience with FreeBSD takes me back
>to my days with CP/M and S-100 bus computers. Maybe if CP/M had been
>allowed to grow up, rather than be killed by DOS and Windows, it
>could have become CP/M-BSD?
>
>Jay O'Brien
>Rio Linda, CA USA

I use WinSCP from my Windows boxes to my servers. Enable ssh so that it
allows root. It's secure. No need for ftp and telnet.

Michael

--
Michael D. Whities
uidzero@one-arm.com

--

There are four colors of hats to watch for:
Black, White, Grey, and Red.

The meanings are:
Cracker, Hacker, Guru, and Victim.