Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:08:47 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg bug

On Apr 6, 2012 10:40 AM, <doug@safeport.com> wrote:

> This is 9.0-RELEASE with all else installed via pkg_add. Xorg is 7.5.1;
xdm is 1.1.11. When logging out or terminating Xorg the screen flashes a
line that is the login pattern at the top of the screen. The rest of the
screen is black. ctrl-alt-F1 switches to the console but the monitor is
disconnected (e.g., I eventually get 'no signal' as if the system is
powered down). ctrl-alt-F9 returns to the xdm login which then works
normally. I am using xfce and see no problems after logging. There are no
errors logged in .xsession-errors, Xorg.0.log or xdm.log.

> I get the same symptoms with and without hal  and when Xorg is started
with startx or startxfce4. xorg.conf is unmodified from a 'Xorg
-configure'. The monitor driver select is radeon. The radeonhd driver
crashes.

> The system is not down, as I can ssh into it,the only real bug is that
the consoles are not available. I think this is a bug handling the monitor
rather than the keyboard because of the 'no signal' indication and the
ctrl-alt keys work, I just can not see whats on the console.

> Is additional logging available? Anybody seen one like this?
>

> _____
> Douglas Denault
> http://www.safeport.com
> doug@safeport.com
> Voice: 301-217-9220
>  Fax: 301-217-9277

Hi,

On my amd64 machine running 10.0-CURRENT with xfce4 the screen turns white
when i logout or use the shutdown button. i'm running the latest in
packages, will have to check the version.

ssh into machine still works except that within 40 seconds or so the
machine freezes. my work-around is to do shutdown -r now from terminal,
which shuts down before 40 seconds  :) shutdown without r does not stop it
from freezing.

i have not yet taken the time to troubleshoot but maybe this weekend ill
get the details together and try to see what the problem is.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA