Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2016 18:34:32 +0900
From:      Akihiro HIRANO <hirano@t.kanazawa-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssl bug causes sshd crashed on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE

On FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p37, sshd crashes by signal 11.

Mar  8 17:32:20 hostname kernel: pid 22651 (sshd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11

On FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p30, sshd works fine.

As far as I have examined, the reason is OpenSSL in base system.
The following tests have been performed on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p37:

(1) sshd in base system crashes.
(2) openssh-portable from pkg which uses base OpenSSL library crashes.
(3) openssh-portable from ports with OpenSSL from pkg works fine.

Therefore, I suggest that the openssl library in base system
might have a problem.

Best Regards,
----
Akihiro HIRANO, Kanazawa University