Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:02:21 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GPT boot blocks, booting and booteasy

--------------enig05A5EE2C5BDC0AE357693AFC

On 10.08.2011 07:12, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have /boot/pmbr loaded into the PMBR and gptboot into the
> freebsd-boot partition. I'll
> admit that I did this by rote and don't understand how these two files
> interact with the
> UEFI BIOS to get the loader started. I'm not really certain that I
> even need both.
>=20
> Is it possible to build a "custom" booteasy boot system with boot0cfg
> or some other tool
> so I can select d ifferent bootable partition or my other disk which
> is sliced in the traditional
> fashion? Can anyone point me to any information on how the boot
> process works with GPT?

PMBR is a simple variant of MBR which does know enough to parse GPT
partition table and how to load bootcode from the "freebsd-boot"
partition. Then gptboot does search bootable UFS partition.
At this time we do not have any  bootcodes like booteasy for GPT.
But you can try to use bootme and bootonce GPT attributes (see
gpart(8)). Also you can use grub boot loader.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov