Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:10:40 -0500
From:      Jeremy Nelson <jnelson@acronet.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

[cc's snipped to remane sane]

[someone whose attributes have been lost said]
!     No.  I don't use it.  Voxware does everything my sound card
! knows how to do.  I'll be using Voxware till it rots, I expect.

>On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 07:09:25PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
@ Voxware has already rotted.  Someday soon it will even be removed
@ entirely and you will then have the choice between either putting it
@ back in yourself and maintaining it separately or switching to the new
@ one.

[someone else whose attributes have been lost said]
>It works amazingly well for rotten code...

I concur.  I will be much saddened by the removal of voxware:  It works
exceptionally for my setup, a pnp awe32 with a yamaha daughterboard.
I looked at the source to luigi's stuff and it still doesnt support the
midi devices.  While i have no complaint about that at all (after all,
there's nothing that says it has to be supported), it strikes me as
intriguing to remove a working sound driver that supports something as
important as midi, in favor of a sound driver that does not.

I suppose as Jordan says, if they remove voxware from freebsd, some of us
users will have to conspire together to maintain it seperately.  Anyone
interested in such a project?  I admit i would have to join; all i do
with my sound card is 'playmidi'[1].  I cant be the only one.

Jeremy

[1] I know someone will point out timidity, but thats not really much
of an option.  The daughterboard I have on my sound card is much better
than any patches I can get for timidity, and wont require all my CPU time
to boot.