Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 12:18:10 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ggm@connect.com.au (George Michaelson)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

George Michaelson stands accused of saying:

> Snaps are good but the timelag between snaps and interesting state in current
> is bad. If you're saying that for any given SUP state you can go from the
> last snap to current without tripping over any non-reversable states, well
> and good.  I don't think you're saying that :-)

The general rule is that you can build -CURRENT from the last -RELEASE
version, and modulo short periods of brokenness in -CURRENT, this is a
fairly safe assumption.  The FreeBSD build is a lot more involved than
the NetBSD build (as you will have noticed if you've looked at
/usr/src/Makefile).  Considerable care is taken to build tools that
are required for the build process itself first.

My current qualification process for systems involves installing an
old SNAP (whatever I can get my hands on at the time 8), doing a
checkout from our CVS server of the source tree and then a full 'make
world'.

> Looks like you're saying its more fluid, and simply doing a make world on
> the result of a sup on current is caveat emptor.

No, this is not the case; commits that break the tree generate enormous
amounts of flamage on the -current list, and usually a correcting commit
that gets in first 8)

Most of the complaints on the -current list come from people with
broken source trees; either as a result of sup malfunctioning, local
changes, or passionate fingers.  CVSup has drastically reduced the
incidence of the first case.

> It looks to me like the best bet for a time to re-sync is the xmas holidays
> since the frequency of changes to CVS will be lower...

Depending on what you want to sync _to_; if you're using CVSup (as I
strongly recommend 8), grab the whole CVS tree and check out at RELENG_2_2
to get the 2.2 soon-to-be-release thread for an up-to-date-and-stable
version, or go to the head for the 3.0 major-changes-impending thread.

Generally large changes are announced on the -current list, which you
should be reading if you're planning on tracking -current.  The commit
mailing lists are also worth watching if you have the time.