Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:16:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>, FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW & unwanted console messages

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> These are the messages in the /var/log/messages file.
>
> /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP 63x.70.155.x12:520 from 208.2x6.15.x4:520
> gateway last message repeated 3 times
> gateway last message repeated 22 times
> gateway last message repeated 85 times
> gateway last message repeated 61 times
>
> The ipfw rules has an allow for 'UDP 63x.70.155.x12:520 from
> 208.2x6.15.x4:520'
> This 520 packet is a broadcast rip from my ISP's router. It will not stop
> coming in.
> I can see the counter increases in the accounting records for this rule so I
> know the firewall is letting it in and responding with the correct response.
> Why an I getting these messages even though it's allowed in ipfw rules?

This doesn't come from ipfw.  This happens because you're allowing through
RIP broadcasts and you're not listening to them.  Also, you have
log_in_vain="YES" enabled in rc.conf no doubt.  By the way, why did you
decice to _allow_ RIP updates when you're not running routed?  My advice
is to block them, or, if you trust the sending router, run routed, and
listen to them.

Joe