Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 06:50:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with perl version

I am runing freebsd 5.1

I have a problem with perl versions
I need to use perl 5.8.0 but everytime I install from ports a application
which depends from perl 5.6 something is overwritten and perl 5.8.0 is not
avalaible and I have to "make reinstall" perl 5.8.0 every time.
Is there a way to set a system variable for perl5.8.0 as default?

I also tryed with this in /etc/make.conf

PERL_VER=5.8.0
PERL_VERSION=5.8.0

but it is useless. if I then install an application from ports which uses
perl5.6 the default perl becomes perl 5.6 regardless of make.conf
settings.

thank you very much

Rick