Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:29:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

> On 31-Jan-99 Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Oh, okay, the successor to the 8505, and yes, they're more than 300$.
> > Cheap backups are an oxymoron.
>
> OK, let's rephrase the initial question then:
>
> what would a tape backup unit have to have to be good usable with FreeBSD?
>
> I mean, does every unit support rewind, eject, etc, etc...

All these units support reasonable commands, but there are other
criteria to consider:

	+ Likelihood (or not) of tapes jamming/breaking (I'm a bit
	  prejudiced against DAT for this)

	+ Media Interchange with other systems (I almost never see large
	  QIC drives. 8mm is probably the leading interchange for s
	  lot of systems)

	+ Speed and Capacity per media piece. DLT wins here, with more
	  specialized tapes (e.g. AIM or STK DS3) at the higher end.

	+ Quality of h/w. You don't want to have something that will be
	  broken when you *really* need it.

So take these factors into account when you choose. For example, I
wouldn't choose QIC because it doesn't satisfy media interchange or
speed/capacity- for *me*. It may for you.