Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 1995 22:26:18 -0500
From:      rjb@intac.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Network reached with 3com 3c503 with some strange problems...

Well, just thought I'd let you know that FreeBSD sees the 3com 3c503 board
(finally). I'm using I/O base 0x300 at location 0xd8000 IRQ 5. I had to set
the memory location by moving the jumper from 'disabled' to 0xd8000. From
documentation I've seen I thought the setting in the kernel config would
take care of this - apparently not.

This hardware config causes the Kernel to enable 'ed1'. During bootup I see
that ed1 is 'attached' and the network gateway to my host is reached, well,
sort of...

After the boot process, just after I get a login prompt, I get "host ed1
timed out". This *doesn't* seem to happen after every boot. When it doesn't
happen, I'm able to ping my host just fine. When it does I get "host ed1 is
down" and a -1 from ping. I'm totally lost on this one... All I can tell
you about my kernel config that's different from generic is that bpfilter
is set to 16. I don't think this should matter. I'm planning on running
CAP's and was recently told to set this value for the filter. Also my
ifconfig line in /etc/netstart is:

ifconfig ed1 inet $hostname -link0

$hostname is, of course, the address of my host interface defined in
/etc/hosts. -link0 is supposed to cause the board to use the AUI interface,
10baseT.

I got a hunch that this problem is somehow related to the ifconfig
arguments. Do you think I might have better luck setting the base to 0x280
and pick up 'ed0'? Does it make a difference? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob Badaracco