Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:13:39 +0300
From:      "Toni Heinonen" <Toni.Heinonen@teleware.fi>
To:        "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>, "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Using IPFW/NAT with multiport PCI cards

> I am writing to request for advise/recommendations on the=20
> subject. I've
> been tasked to build a router/firewall based on FreeBSD. I'd=20
> like to use
> 5.2-RELEASE.
>=20
> Now my only problem is that I have played a little with ipfw in a
> situation where I have just two interfaces, 1 external and 1 internal.
> My current requirement however involves one external interface and
> four (or more) internal interfaces (which should all be SEPARATE
> networks, invisible from each other).

Sure, this is possible. To tell you the truth, if you're not sure how to =
do it, the cheapest and easiest way would be to just get 4 ethernet =
cards for the internal interfaces. However, the most dynamic way would =
be to get an ethernet card that supports 802.1q or Cisco ISL, which are =
switch trunking protocols. You could then separate the networks into =
different virtual LANs in a switch, that was connected to the 802.1q =
NIC. That NIC would then have an IP address from each of the networks.

I'm not sure how 802.1q can be configured in FreeBSD, but that shouldn't =
be too hard - the more difficult part should be configuring the switch.