Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2017 05:45:08 +0100
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        "blubee blubeeme" <gurenchan@gmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Ports" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Canberra
References:  <trinity-6848ca10-405f-41ae-a91f-7024aacfaf00-1513753440748@3c-app-mailcom-lxa08> <CALM2mEmfSot7UPPT=VyBKieAoM_1TAcOeRR9%2BZwN%2BQ_2C3cUEw@mail.gmail.com> <trinity-31e68301-3574-4114-83c1-d05b06d4ad56-1513762058927@3c-app-mailcom-lxa14> <CALM2mEnoY7ckajow7ydcBj6OTsauqyxRPxzCOc3wHwkx_QohZg@mail.gmail.com> <trinity-19cdafb9-5fe9-4ab6-a8f7-b8fc711b5779-1513816638248@3c-app-mailcom-lxa12> <CALM2mEndL9dpyrhOr-Shk2%2Bd-uvY8nUhW9UaAWfbFHkYrqj3sw@mail.gmail.com>

> Blubee blubeeme
> I'll look at the libcanberra OSS backend and see if I get get the changes upstream then the libcanberra maintainer can update the port.

>> Sid
>> Sooner or later, a drop in replacement for libcanberra needs to be made for all BSD's. It should use ogg files from audio/freedesktop-sound-theme. Perhaps it can include simple pipe to play ogg and other audio files as well. After investigating, libcanberra is suitable for the short term, and anything that fails without libcanberra-gtk3 is an issue with the upstream ports themselves.

I looked into it more. Canberra is meant only for sound (.oga, .wav), but graphical code is tied in heavily into it for XDG icons and graphics standards, so the problem is not just around gtk.

The source code of libcanberra has many graphical files and lines, and its only binary /usr/local/bin/canberra-gtk-play (--file) requires the window display (which shouldn't be needed for sound, and no graphical interface), so it can't run from a root console (onto a non-root desktop).

Icons and programs that need Canberra should just call it. Canberra has the ability to output a command, if for instance, the sound application fails. This should be output back to another program.

libcanberra needs to fork, to have only audio components (to not rely on any graphical toolkit), but it is required for it to keep the same GPL license. I'll keep looking at it, and take notes on that. Then see if I can compile it, leaving out graphical components (I'm C code illiterate). Later on, it can be replaced completely by an OSS API of original code.

While no FreeBSD ports currently use pulseaudio and gstreamer for libcanberra, that compatibility should stay in (as opposed to what I suggested previously).