Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:24:00 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: [FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -current

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:13:31PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>
> > I think that you and others have convinced me that there isn't an
> > overwhelming need to deprecate rcOG.
>
> My take on this whole thing is that having two implementations doesn't
> encourage a clean break.  Suppose we have two third party vendors.  One
> supplies a rcOG hook because they were too lazy to convert it, and put in
> their instructions "Be sure to set rcng=NO in /etc/rc.conf".
>
> Then, you get another component from another vendor, who only supplies
> a rcNG startup module.  The user now has two conflicting sets of startup
> hooks to reconcile and will be forced to get their hands dirty and translate
> one of them to the other.
>
> IMHO, make a clean break and get it over and done with.  Get everybody on
> the same page.  Making the clean break also means that we will find anything
> that has been missed (eg: /etc/netstart as referenced later in this thread)
> sooner rather than later.

I tend to agree: vendors that are too concerned with keeping their software
compatible with RELENG_4 could spend a few human/minutes for compatibility
with rcOG; others should just go for rnNG as de facto standard.  Dropping
rcOG for 5.1(2?) seems to help to avoid future problems rather than
creating them.

Just my $.02.

./danfe