Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:23:52 +0200
From:      Birk <ari@snafu.de>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: outdated files after make world

> >   338 Mar  6  2002 /boot/loader.rc
> >
> This is only installed if it does not exist, so you
> should update it manually when it changes.  This has
> last changed in 1999.

IMHO this violates POLA. If it is vital and has changed it
should be reinstalled.
It was just instinct that I haven't removed this file.

> >   858 Mar  6  2002 /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach/_h2ph_pre.ph
>
> Perl install just uses the source dates.

I forgot to mention that I check the ctime, not mtime.
If the files were copied with the mtime preserved the ctime should
have changed anyway.

> >  5930 Mar  6  2002 /usr/include/values.h
>
> Headers are installed with -C option of install(1),

| -C	Copy the file.  If the target file already exists and the files
|	are the same, then don't change the modification time of the tar-
|	get.

This is ambiguos. Does that mean the file isn't copied at all, or
is it copied with the mtime preserved (and thus changes the ctime)?

thx
 Birk