Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:07:58 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: em0 freezes on ZFS server

On 26-2-2010 10:58, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:34:41 +0100 Willem Jan Withagen<wjw@digiware.nl>
> wrote about Re: em0 freezes on ZFS server:
>
> WJW>  Probably the reason why this happened yesterday is that I started
> WJW>  doing major software builds (over ZFS/NFS/TCP/v3) against data stored
> WJW>  on this box.
>
> I saw a similar problem this morning and suppose it started when some
> automatic backup jobs started last night. A unstable em device is a rather
> bad thing, I hope increasing the buffer (mine is at 64000 now) prevents
> this from happening again.

In my case it started indeed when I raised the volume of traffic. Probably I
tripled it. Thanx for confirming like features.

I have no proof that it used to work, or something like that. Since this is
my first ZFS box, first Areca controller. So going back in time to see if it
just regression somewhere is rather hard.

And Yes, unstable em-device is a pain, since uptill now I considered the
Intel chips/driver as a constant steady-state factor in my networking life.
(would only buy/recommend Intel)

I'm not shure it is the chipset/driver combo,could be that something in the
innards of the kernel has severly changed and just starts stressing a lot more.

--WjW