Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 17:14:06 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

> > This is exactly what you were describing above.  You specifically
> > claim that you avoid taking your mail with you by leaving it on an
> > "internet accessible" server.  Hotmail is "internet accessible", and in
> > fact is *more* accessible than you propose because you can access it
> > with any browser, rather than requring some nonexistent client software.
>
> I can still read mail on my server or on my laptop.  On the server I can
> use whatever client suits me.  i.e. telnet and pine.

Sure, but this is not "more" accessible, this is less.

> > Given that I have been advocating a specific form of "disconnected mail
> > reading", I would have to say that I have a pretty damn good idea of
> > what it's all about. 8)
>
> Your disconnected mail reading has no method of synchronizing your actions
> on your laptop copy of your mailbox with your server.  This is essential
> to me, as I have no desire to read the same messages twice on all the
> mailing lists I read.  I also like to have the "replied" annotations
> attached to mail I have replied to.

Bollocks.  All my mail is in one place, on the laptop.  That's about as
synchronised as it gets.

> > I'll read about it in the feature set of a mailer, if and when it's
> > implemented.  Until then, a vapourware standard is of no use to me.
>
> There are clients, just not for FreeBSD, or Linux.  See www.imap.org.

See above.  When it's available, I'll care.  Until then, I'll use
something that works.

The only advantage that "discordian IMAP" offers is keeping your mail
on a set of servers.  To me that's not really very significant.  By
contrast fetchmail is implemented and works, and that matters a great
deal.

mike