Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:38:59 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are cardbus drivers cbb(4) and pccard(4) still included in GENERIC?

> In reference to this FreeBSD forums post:

> http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=231135&postcount=4

> Would it be a good time to remove those from GENERIC since the
> hardware they are for is becoming so seriously outdated?

> There's always an option to load those drivers as modules if needed.

> -Kimmo

These looked useless to me on a desktop computer, but proved necessary to retain just to be able to compile NDIS support into the kernel.

This is for a USB wireless adapter by Hiro that uses Realtek RTL8191S chip.

Other responses on this topic reveal that these cardbus drivers are needed for many other drivers too.

Tom