Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 02:38:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Josef Belkovics <belkovics@albert.osu.cz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Josef Belkovics <belkovic@osu.cz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c509,ep,fbsd3.1

> > I am using fbsd 3.1 as ip+ipx router with 2x3c905 (xl,pci) + 4x3c509
> > (ep,isa) boards.
>
> Yuck.  They do make quad-port PCI Ethernet cards.  I don't know if a 66MHz
> Pentium can handle those though.

PCI cards share irq (5) without problem. (I don't understand well your
notice - use penquin english.)

> > Ep boards many times stays in the state OACTIVE (tx is idle) which means
> > that router does not route.

> > Router runs 4 years. Before installation of switches it routes well.
> > Systat -vmstat 1 reports that p5/66 has enough capacity. I have raised
> > timer tick (HZ=1000) but error has improved only little.

I also have raised the number of mbuf on 10240.

> > Where is bug? In ep driver or in switches? (Please do not advise to connect
> > 3c509 boards back into hubs - it is too late.)

> Perhaps the cabling between the swtich and ep0 is faulty?  It looks like
> the card's getting confused and is resetting itself.

Badly.

> The ep driver isn't the world's best.

Well. I have found in mail archive that 3c509 has the 'stuck in OACTIVE'
(kern/6694, kern/7042). There is some patch for if_ep.c?

Josef Belkovics