Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:55:42 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bastill@adam.com.au
Subject:   Re: Fixit instructions

bastill@adam.com.au wrote:
[ ... ]
> The only helpful instruction I have found on the use of the Fixit disk are these:
> "You will then be placed into a shell with a wide variety of commands available
> (in the /stand  and /mnt2/stand directories) for checking, repairing and
> examining file systems and their contents. Some UNIX administration experience
> is required to use the fixit option."
>
> Surely there must be something more comprehensive than this?

Lots and lots.

cd /stand
touch /tmp/docs
foreach file ( * )
man -p /bin/cat $file >> /tmp/docs
end

...produces about two hundred pages worth of documentation.

Comprehensive, but perhaps not organized effectively.  However, the
FreeBSD Handbook, or O'Reillys "Essential System Administration", might
be better starting places as tutorials/problem-solving resources.

-Chuck