Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:35:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jdp@polstra.com
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        sobomax@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New ports layout slowed-down cvsup operation

In article <39E40E48.9A62DED1@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev
<sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone noticed that new ports layout considerably slowed
> down cvsup operations over a slow links. I attribute it to the fact
> that my checkouts.cvs file inflated almost two-fold (from 3MB to
> 6MB) after the change, so probably this causing slowdown, as perhaps
> the amount of data to be transferred increased proportionally.
>
> So the questions to beloved cvs-meisters are: am I right and if so
> how we could cope with this problem.

Yes, I think your diagnosis is correct.  There is not much that can
be done about it any time soon in the repository.  The removed files
and directories need to remain, or else people's cvs update operations
will fail.

You might be able to get your performance back by creating a "refuse"
file with patterns that match the files and directories that are no
longer used.  See cvsup(1) and the FAQ at:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

for more details on refuse files.

John