Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 22:32:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI bus hangs - AIC7870 (fwd)

Can anybody give this guy help?

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: swhite@xwing.wcape.gov.za (Sean White)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI bus hangs - AIC7870
Date: 19 Mar 1996 10:32:22 GMT

J Wunsch (j@uriah.heep.sax.de) wrote:

: Can you play with the timeouts in the sys/scsi/st.c tape driver?  Each
: call to scsi_scsi_cmd() gets a timeout parameter (in milliseconds, if
: i remember well).  Try a simple tweaking, and see if it helps.

Well, I tried that - increased the timeout values by a factor of 10 - and
it helped not a bit. Nothing.

I stripped the machine and found that the terminators were enabled on the
HDD (as expected, seeing as it's on the end of the cable) but still can't
check the tape drive termination. I've disabled the termination on the HDD
and stuck it in the middle of the cable and put the DAT on the end.
Everything works (or doesn't) as before - still got the hangs.

I'm going to try shoving a AHA2742AT EISA card into the machine to see if
that resolves the issue, but is there anything else I can try to get this
lot working as it's supposed to?

Oh, I've captured the message that the machine comes up with just as it
hangs. This is while doing 'mt rewind' :-

ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out
st0(ahc0:1:0): BUS DEVICE RESET message queued.
ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out

.... and that's where the machine sits. Locked. Does that give anyone any
ideas?

Regards,
Sean (about to shoot this machine!) White.