Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:00:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      william paul <wpaul@windriver.com>
To:        maav@bastun.net (Boris Georgiev)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M support

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Boris Georgiev
had to walk into mine and say:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Sorry for the previous e-mail, but have in mind that I'm trying to cooperate
> by testing your drivers and
> I am not aware of the rules for declaring a hardware problem in the mailing
> lists. The only way I can send
> you the messages from the kernel is if I rewrite them from the console.

I know that. But that's a small price to pay for free driver development. :)

> Here is the information that you requested:
>
> bge0: <Broadcom BCM5705M Dual Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x3001> mem
> 0x90000000-0x9000ffff irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci2
> bge0: firmware handshake timed out
> bge0: RX CPU self-diagnostics failed!
> bge0: chip initialization failed
> device_probe_and_attach: bge0 attach returned 6
>
> If you need more detailed information, I can send it to you on request.

Ok, the firmware handshake does not really load any firmware. This just
checks that the firmware on the NIC has responded to a reset and is back
up and running. The error here is due to the fact that the firmware
initialization seems to take longer on the 5705, so the timeout has to
be increased.

Thanks for a couple of other people, I have made changes to deal with
this. Please download the latest driver code from the same URL
(http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Broadcom/5705). This should fix the
problem with the timeout, as well as a few other things.

-Bill