Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:24:32 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with the screenlock in KDE for FreeBSD 4.0

Siegbert Baude wrote:

> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > This may turn into something involving encryption algorithms, but sine
> > I upgraded my laptop to FreeBSD 4.0-Stable, I can't unlock my KDE
> > screen. With either my password or the root password, I always get
> > "Failed".
>
> I noticed the same failure, but if you log into kde as root, it will
> work. Maybe there are insufficient rights, to enter /etc/passwd ? Anyone
> has an idea how kde tries to get the correct password? Maybe this part
> of the program should be setuid ?

AFAIR there were problems with removed suid root privileges in KDE
screensavers. Best workaround is not to use the password option in the KDE
screensaver (working as root can be dangerous). Search the mail archives at
http://www.freebsd.org/mail/ for your problem, it is explained in great
detail there.

KDE 2.0 has changed the screensaver architecture, it should work without
problem out of the box.

HTH
-Christoph Sold