Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:09:01 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it time to retire the scanner ?

----------

> Personally, I avoid multifunction devices.  My Epson 1640SU scanner is old
> and large but worked fine on 10-STABLE (and long before) and continues to
> work in 12-CURRENT without any changes.  It's noticeably faster than some
> new scanners.

----------

The above note is really important , because , it is difficult to find open
source drivers for them due to "non-disclosure of information" requirements
of companies for some components .

For that reason , please , start from FreeBSD : Select drivers of possible
devices to use , such as SANE , CUPS . Then review their documentation .
Find a device which can work with these packages .
Select such a trade mark that it will be "famous" means its user base is
large , and ignore trade marks "no-one heard" it . In that way , if you ask
a question about it , it will be likely that you will find user(s) using
your selected device . It may not work in FreeBSD , due to ( not set
correctly or suitable ) parameters ( either one will supply to you
information about them or you can generate a bug report , it will be likely
there will be person(s) trying to help ( able to help ) because you have
selected an open source driver using that device .  Over time , knowledge
will accumulate to solve such problems .

Another information source is FreeBSD release documentation : In them ,
there are information which devices are supported . Some of them may be old
, but , even some of them can be found , especially in www.amazon.com or
other large suppliers of computing hardware .

For that try to buy single purpose devices : printer , scanner , etc. , not
in combination .

Do NOT start from reverse : Buy hardware whatever it is , then try to use
it in the FreeBSD , even in Linux . It is very likely that you will fail to
find a suitable driver ( if you can not write such a one ) .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk