Date:      Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:53:43 -0400
From:      "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA TNT2 woes

On Jul 3, 2005, at 2:22 PM, markzero wrote:

>>> (WW) The NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro GPU installed in
>>> (WW)      this system is supported through the NVIDIA Legacy
>>> (WW)      drivers. Please visit
>>> (WW)      http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
>>> (WW)      information.  The 1.0-7667 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
>>> (WW)      GPU.  Continuing probe... (EE) No devices detected.
>>>
>>> The NVIDIA Legacy drivers magically fail to exist on the NVIDIA
>>> site and there appears no be no port for them either.
>>>

>> I was exploring the latest nvidia driver and came across this page.
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_archive.html
>> Isn't 7174 or 6113 the legacy driver you are after?
>>
>> --Alex
>>

> Well, yes they are the older drivers that would work, but the above
> message gave me the impression that NVIDIA were going to be
> maintaining
> a seperate set of legacy drivers.
>
> Not that it really matters now, the nv driver seems to be more solid
> and allows me to run my monitor at the resolution I'm actually
> supposed
> to be able to run it at (the proprietary drivers had a long unfixed
> bug
> that limited my maximum resolution). I get no apparent performance
> decrease on glxgears either (which is about the limit of my GL usage
> nowadays!).
glxgears works for you with the nv driver? I cannot get it to work
for me (I have a RIVA TNT as opposed to your RIVA TNT 2). Could you
post your xorg.conf? I have the line Load "glx" in the "Module"
Section. Perhaps the nv driver works much better than for the TNT 2
as opposed to the TNT? Thank you for your help and thank you to the
whole list for the support and replies.