Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Andrzej Tobola <san@iem.pw.edu.pl>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld with /usr/src read-only supported or not ?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Andrzej Tobola wrote:

> As David suggested:
>
> > From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
> > At this point I'd take this to current@freebsd.org.
>
> Is anybody nfs-mounting /usr/src RO from other machine and sucessfully
> "make buildworld" ? or it is not supported (but I remember that Matt and
> others seems do it that way).
>
> I can't do this with today -current:
>
> % make buildworld
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld
> rm -f eelf_i386.c ldemul-list.h stringify.sed ld eelf_i386.o ldcref.o ldctor.o ldemul.o ldexp.o ldfile.o ldgram.o ldlang.o ldlex.o ldmain.o ldmisc.o ldver.o ldwrite.o lexsup.o mri.o ld.1.gz ld.1.cat.gz ldlex.c ldgram.c ldgram.h
> rm -rf ldscripts
> rm: ldscripts: Read-only file system
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld.
> *** Error code 1
>
> cheers,
> -a

Hmm- it *had* been working for me for a while. But the NFS performance was so
abysmal that I started migrating off again. But the last successful build I
can find locally for -current is last night, 23:17 Pacific Daylight, with a
cvsup from about 0300 earlier that day.

If I were you, clean out your /usr/obj contents entirely.

And on the src tree's machine that you actually have this mounted r/w, do a
cleanup CVS update to removal all cruft:

beppo.feral.com > cat ~/bin/CleanCVSupdate
#!/bin/sh
QFLAG=${QFLAG--q}

2>&1 cvs ${QFLAG} update -I \! -I CVS -d -P

-matt