Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2013 14:03:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using bsdinstall for an additional drive

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:

> I have a running 9.2 system that I need to add another drive to.
> With sysinstall it was easy (once you understood it) to add a new
> drive.  However, I have not figured out how to do that with
> bsdinstall.  I don't want to experiment much as the running system
> would take forever to rebuild.  Is there a way to do this without
> affecting the existing system?

It depends on what you mean by adding another drive.  If it's just a
second drive for data with UFS, both GPT and MBR setup is shown in
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

If you mean adding a drive as in creating a mirror, the Handbook gmirror
chapter shows that:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

For ZFS... well, that's different.