Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:10:54 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Very interesting benchmarking results...

At 9:31 PM -0600 2000/12/13, Michael C . Wu wrote:

>  Brad failed to post the simultaneous CPU times at the same
>  time.  i.e. at 128 processes, how much CPU time was doing I/O?
>  Also, how much memory was the processes taking?

	These are data points that simply were not collected during my
original tests, nor in my more recent tests.  The rawio tool does
provide the capability to get this kind of information for rawio
itself (although it doesn't show how much CPU time is spent in
idle/kernel/user across the entire system for that test), but I have
not modified my driver script to use that output format.

	While vinum may be very significantly faster, my guess is that it
probably also takes some extra CPU cycles to make that happen.  Greg
should be able to give you more specific details from his own testing.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium