Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2019 13:20:59 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: OT: My ssh authorized_keys doesn't work with nfs/nis

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 07:09:17 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I am using the default out of the box /etc/sshd_config for 11 and 12 that
> has only two uncommented out configs:
>
> AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
> Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server
>
> So unless I am reading the first one completely wrong then it uses
> ~user/.ssh/authorized_keys which is what the ls above is of.

>From "man 5 sshd_config":

     AuthorizedKeysFile
             Specifies the file that contains the public keys that can be used
             for user authentication.  AuthorizedKeysFile may contain tokens
             of the form %T which are substituted during connection setup.
             The following tokens are defined: %% is replaced by a literal
             '%', %h is replaced by the home directory of the user being
             authenticated, and %u is replaced by the username of that user.
             After expansion, AuthorizedKeysFile is taken to be an absolute
             path or one relative to the user's home directory.  The default
             is ``.ssh/authorized_keys''.

Maybe you can try to use "%h/.ssh/authorized_keys" or, if it applies,
"/usr/home/%u/.ssh/authorized_keys" to check if this is a path problem?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany