Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:09:35 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
Cc:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenJDK BSD Port project: why FreeBSD Java Fondation is not metioned?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:39:37PM +0200, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> >  BSD Port of OpenJDK is announced by Sun, by Sun empolyees:
> >
> >  http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/announce/2008-August/000058.html
> > http://openjdk.java.net/projects/bsd-port
> > http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/porters-dev/2008-August/000191.html
> >
> >  But this announces doesn't mention FreeBSD Java port, FreeBSD Java Team and
> > Foundation at all.
> >
> >  Is this project coordinated with FreeBSD Java team? Is FreeBSD Java Team
> > interested in it?
>
> Considering the first URL mentions that they do so "On behalf of Greg
> Lewis, Kurt Miller and Landon Fuller", this at least sounds like this
> is in coordination with the FreeBSD Java Team.

Ummm yep, that kind of gives it away doesn't it :).  Although this is based
on the porting efforts over the years, the OpenJDK code changes so far have
all been performed by Kurt and Landon, so I'd like to thank them and also
Dalibor Topic and Mark Reinhold from Sun for getting this effort going.

The work at the moment is against OpenJDK7.  There is a reasonable chance
there will be some work with regards to OpenJDK6 as well.

Feel free to check it out.  I wouldn't expect to see it in the ports tree
for a while though.

Patches are naturally welcome, although to get them back into the main tree
you need to agree to the Sun Contributor Agreement.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org