Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:20:41 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: importing users

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 at 23:39 SAT, Ben Pepa wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm looking for a script or program that will allow us to easilly import
> users from our schools database (and also be able to merge them in the
> future and delete the graduates) onto our FreeBSD server as user accounts.
>
> We have 2000+ students and adding them manually would take weeks.  The

I'm afraid I have no easy off-the-shelf answer for you, except that this is
the sort of task that Perl excels at.  Any halfway competent system
administrator with a working knowledge of Perl shouldn't take more than an
hour or so to craft a script or set of scripts to do what you need done.

I'd suggest looking at the O'Reilly books "Learing Perl" and "Programming
Perl".  Even "Learning" (the llama book) has more than enough info in it to
get you writing scrips of the sort that you seem to need.

Good luck!
-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878