Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:36:39 -0600
From:      "Dean E. Weimer" <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing to RAIDZ1

On 2016-11-12 10:52 am, Baho Utot wrote:
> I want to reinstall my desktop system using a raidz-1 filesystem using
> the current installation image for usb drive.   Reading the handbook I
> find that bsdinstall will not do the installation I want.  I am using
> 4 1TB drives and I want to partition to 800GB and install the raidz
> there.  Can I create a raidz storage pool manually and then use
> bsdinstall or will I have to manually install freebsd not using
> bsdinstall?
>
> How do I do this?

I have a set of instructions I wrote for a manual install on ZFS root
with a mirror, these can easily be modified to use a raidz partition
instead. My home server that is hosting this website is actually running
a raidz on 4 1TB drives. The instructions below setup a gmirror for swap
in addition to the zfs mirror, when I did the raidz setup I used two
separate gmirror swap partitions so that I have swap spread out over all
4 disks and it will still survive a disk failure. Granted I don't think
my server has actually ever needed to use the swap space so I can't be
sure it wont grind to a crawl if it hits it.

Fair warning I haven't actually read through these in a while, I wrote
them back in 9.x days, I did modify them when it was no longer necessary
to specify the boot data set in the loader.conf. I basically just
install from memory, when needed.

http://www.dweimer.net/?Content=03~help_files&Page=01~installing_FreeBSD_on_ZFS

--
Thanks,