Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:57:28 -0500
From:      Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Development Projects (was:Re: FreeBSD emulation for linux)

Donald,
   I think you may have the cart before the horse.  To attract more Java
users to FreeBSD, the JDK needs to improve substantially.  The average Java
user is not interested in helping a platform become better, they are
interested in platforms that run their apps well right now.  I personally
wouldn't recommend increasing the visibility of FreeBSD's JDK until it
improves - timing is important here because increasing the visibility
before it's ready will just leave a bad lasting impression.
   I don't want to dampen enthusiasm for the JDK on FreeBSD; I really hope
it continues to improve and becomes a competitive product because I think
the combination of FreeBSD and a competitive JDK is powerful.
   I just called TowerJ to inquire about their product. When I asked if
they were planning on porting their product to FreeBSD, he said they were,
but didn't give a time frame. He did say that they've received a lot of
requests to do so. Unfortunately, their product is fairly expensive;
however, if you combine their pricy product with a nicely priced FreeBSD,
you will still have a very competitive Java platform.

Brian