Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 2015 10:39:42 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <egrosbein@rdtc.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arge1 on TL WDR3600

Hi,

I'll try to answer more thoroughly tomorrow, but in the meanwhile:

The AR8327 switch has two CPU ports - MAC0, and MAC6. MAC1..MAC5 are
the switch ethernet ports connected to the external physical ports
PHY1..PHY5. Now, normally MAC1..MAC4 are "LAN" and MAC5 is "WAN".
Sometimes they disconnect PHY5 (the physical port) from MAC5 (the
internal switch ethernet port) and connect PHY5 to arge1.

Now, the AP135 reference board does this - arge0 -> MAC6, arge1 ->
MAC0. arge0 in the AR955x SoC has extra hardware for NAT/filtering, so
it's typically used as the "WAN" port.

But I think (according to openwrt) arge1 isn't connected to anything;
only arge0 is connected to switch MAC0.

Now, you can use etherswitchcfg to configure dot1q and tag things. eg:

* etherswitchcfg config vlan_mode dot1q

will put it into dot1q mode

Then each port has a pvid (native vlan id) and on this switch you can
configure each vlan as tagged or untagged. eg:

etherswitchcfg vlangroup0 vlan 1 members 6 # this just disables vlan 1
on any active port
etherswitchcfg vlangroup1 vlan 2 members 0t,1,2,3,4
etherswitchcfg vlangroup2 vlan 3 members 0t,5
etherswitchcfg port1 pvid 2
etherswitchcfg port2 pvid 2
etherswitchcfg port3 pvid 2
etherswitchcfg port4 pvid 2
etherswitchcfg port5 pvid 3

This creates two VLANs - vlan2 is LAN, vlan3 is WAN, port0 (MAC0,
which is hooked up to arge0) is configured as seeing vlans 2,3 as
tagged; port1..4 have native vlan 2 (LAN), port 5 has native VLAN 3
(WAN).

Then to configure vlans:

* kldload if_vlan (and add it to the modules list in /etc/cfg/rc.conf);
* ifconfig arge0.2 create vlandev arge0 vlan 2
* ifconfig arge0.3 create vlandev arge0 vlan 3
* ifconfig bridge0 deletem arge0
* ifconfig bridge0 addm arge0.2 arge0.3 (bridges the two VLANs
together via bridge0, but you may not want to do this. Maybe. it's up
to you!)

-adrian