Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2013 20:46:01 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Xu Zhe <xzpeter@gmail.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build openjdk7 for customized FreeBSD system

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 04:44:55PM +0800, Xu Zhe wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I have posted several mails in the list, asking for different kinds of
> build errors when I met during the process of building openjdk7 on a
> customized FreeBSD 8.2 system.
>
> Today I found the root cause of all the problems. That is, the system
> needs one initial bootstrap Java SDK to build the openjdk7, but the
> tragedy is that, *all* the bootstrap JDKs are binaries. These binaries
> could run on our system, but will met strange issue since the system is
> heavily hacked in the kernel and libc part, and it's never generic at all.
>
> So here is the problem... I will never have a working Java environment
> as the bootstrap JDK on the hacked system. I need another generic system
> to help, who has a good working JDK.
>
> So please ignore all the strange errors I posted. Now I want to ask a
> more generic question, which I suppose is the only way to finish my
> porting work:
>
> How should I build all the C codes in openjdk7 on my hacked system,
> while build the rest Java codes on another system?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Doing this is essentially the same as bootstrapping the port on an
architecture that has no bootstrap JVM available.  It's really painful
but has been done previously.  See

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/porters-dev/2008-February/000080.html

I'm assuming that the regular bootstrap JDKs don't run because of the libc
hacks?

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org